Thursday, April 10, 2008

A good day to try and be a bit artsy

I had a bit of time this morning due to a time change in an early assignment, so I strolled over to Phenix City. The weather was less then great today as far as clouds and the sun coming and going when it wanted to, which gave me the idea to focus on shapes in regards to the falls and the Eagle & Phenix Mill. I stood literally on the water and lowered my angle of view to the point where I thought it was a nice balance between just enough Mill in the frame to make it interesting. I over exposed to whiten the sky and I shot at f11 to make sure everything, most importantly the water, would be in focus. I converted to black and white and bumped the contrast some more in Photoshop.

2 comments:

Philip Wartena said...

Beautiful. Clean. Exciting. I really like what you've got going here, bringing together a community that collectively has no other voice but yours. It's going to make a great collection of stories when it's all said and done.

"South Columbus" dare I say there is a division, could really use this kind of dedication to daily life. Granted the area is larger and less defined, but you could find a thread. Could call it - Victory Heights - or No Press Release Required - hell of a lot of real southern stories just waiting for you to give an ear and an F/stop.

But it's easier to give advice than it is to take it. But you look like you're doing alright. Looooove the shot of the kids on the cart and moonshoes...wow.

I mention the other idea because after spending four years doing the job you are now doing, I look at my work and I laugh because it looks like it could be anywhere. Nothing as a whole seems to stand out and say....Oh yeah, that's the South all right. And that's kind of disheartening. To chase down press releases and regurgitated uneventful events keeps you away from...RiverWalking. But that's just me. So basically great work, keep it up. I look forward to the next post.

Philip Wartena
Freelance Photographer
Ex-Ledger Guy.

Cal Holman said...

Nice composition - a little envious your job involves taking pictures. This is a good shot.